Saturday 24 September 2022

Bagpipes and Gravel

 

I thought I'd be a little verbose, and in response to (almost zero) requests, give an outline of how I research slide locations.

Today's slide was a card-mounted slide, with no makers markings - so it may be that the photographer mounted his own slides. However, the quality makes me think Kodachrome, so... not much dating / location options there.

Written on the slide was "Our Official Greeters in Victoria", so at least I have a city/village. But, there are many "Victoria" locations across the world. The pipers, and the look of the vehicles made me think Canada. And the building in the background - I'm guessing that's "Sand & Gravel".

So, a quick Google for Canada, 1929, Victoria and Sand & Gravel turns up a few options... and "Producers Sand & Gravel Co. (1929) Ltd. of 900 Wharf Street, Victoria, Vancouver Island" looks like a positive hit. And an address ( Yay!).  A check of Google Streetview is ... disappointing.  Looks like there's been a lot of redevelopment over the years, and nothing looks like our building. It does show that the location is very close to the harbour and the sea-plane terminals.

One other link, the sign beside the bagpipers seems to say "Black Ball Line", and Googling reveals that the Black Ball Line is/was a shipping company, who have had operations between Victoria BC and Washington state, USA. So, that links in.

When ?  What sort of cars?   Heck, I can't do everything. The vehicles seems late 1950s / early 1960s to me (not an expert) and that ties in with Black Ball Line, but ... Don't Know. Any help from you readers? 

Bonus - 'Artificial Blowhole' Generates Wave Energy 

No comments: