Tuesday 13 January 2009

Harold's Hedge

So : what's the story behind this picture? Why does the hedge feature so prominently? Let me spin you a tale...

One spring morn, Ethel, Primrose and Anne (respectively Gran, Mother and Daughter) go for walk round the countryside that Ethel grew up in. At one point, granny goes a bit quiet, and moisture appears at the corners of her eyes.

"Do you see this hedge?  That's Harold's Hedge. My Harold planted it the week he was conscripted. As he left, he told me "Don't worry, I'll be back to trim in before it grows much".  Harold's buried somewhere in the Somme. He never got to prune it, and I guess no-one did."

As Ethel and Anne have a moment of silence, Primrose decides to commemorate the moment. Something to tell her grandkids. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm welling up here :(