Friday 10 April 2009

Anwoth...looks familiar.

Easter, so you might be expecting pictures of eggs. Or bunnies. Or chocolate.

Pah. I laugh in the face of expectation. I know how Christianity has usurped the older, pagan, traditions, subverting them for its own needs, but what to post ?

Fate sticks its hand in. Scanning some slides over coffee this morning, I happened across this slide, and immediately it looked familiar. I couldn't place it, but I KNEW that I'd seen that church somewhere.  A check of the slide mount showed just the date (Sept 1971) and a handwritten "Anwoth."     Not much of a help.

....Oh Wow...  Wikipedia shows a little hint regarding Anwoth.   Yes, it's the church that Sergeant Howie visits in The Wicker Man.  More location info here.      I strongly urge you to go and watch this movie. (Make sure it's the Edward Woodward one...the Nic Cage version looks awful.)

Serendipity.  Christianity and pagans.    Gotta love it.

2 comments:

Arc223 said...

Hey. That's one of my favourite films. Cool ! Got any more pics?

Kenny 77 said...

Like it ! Keep it up