Sunday 15 January 2012

The Latest Craze


Do kids still have crazes?

When I was a wee lad, I recall brief crazes for marbles, yo yo's , clackers,  and jew's harps. I don't recall actually joining in with the mania (That's the Engineer in me...always questioning "Why?" and "Why Bother?"), but somehow I can't imagine kids of today being as daft. OK, they may be obsessed with Pokemon BattleDroid Card sets, but that seems different.

Will we even see the return of Hula-Hoops to school playgrounds?  One of the great fads of all time.

Bonus - The De-Evolution of Adverts.      A fantasy about how adverts could be improved, ending with the awsome line, "All commercials are now just a flaming baby skull barking ethnic slurs." A parable for our entire culture of poshlost. (Google the word poshlost. It's a very good word that we all should learn and use.)

No comments: